Economics Associate (Consultant)
Pro Bono Economics
Closing date: 5 October 2020
We are seeking paid consultant Economists to join our panel of Economic Associates. This is an exciting opportunity for experienced economists to apply their knowledge and expertise to a range of interesting projects in the third sector. You will work independently, with flexibility over hours and location of work, in order to:
- Scope projects with charities;
- Give guidance to volunteer project teams on economic issues;
- Provide review, challenge and quality assurance to volunteer project teams;
- Extract the learning from single projects to promote PBE’s broader aims;
- On occasions, deliver insightful economic analysis and research to support charities and PBE’s own objectives.
Pro Bono Economics (PBE) enables professional economists from across the private, public and third sectors to volunteer their skills to tackle some of the most pressing issues in society. Working with our network of experienced consultant economists, our volunteers help charities and social enterprises appreciate their economic and social impact and so improve their overall effectiveness. We have worked with over 400 charities across the third sector since our inception in 2009.
We are now embarking on an exciting new phase of our development, by adding a dedicated in-house research and policy function. In doing so, we plan to supplement our charity projects with new ‘macro’ insights into the value and the potential of civil society in the 2020s. Armed with new content, we want to play an enhanced role in helping shape the policy debate in the UK through a programme of public events, media engagement and contact with different layers of government.
Our consultant Economic Associates manage teams of volunteer to use their skills to tackle some of the most pressing issues in society. Working alongside our network of experienced Economic Associates, our volunteers help charities and social enterprises comprehend their economic and social impact and so improve their overall effectiveness. We have worked with over 500 charities since our inception in 2009, assisting them with:
- Advice on how to collect and evaluate impact data;
- Economic analysis of their programmes and interventions; and
- Research to aid advocacy and campaign work.
We also combine our experience from charity projects with research into relevant issues in the social sector to influence and improve wider policy and practice in the charity and impact investing sectors. Having celebrated our ten-year anniversary last year, we are looking to expand our panel of Economic Associates.
The successful candidates will demonstrate the following experience:
- Ideally 5+ years academic and/or field experience as a professional economist
- Experience of scoping and guiding economic projects, with a strong track record of delivery and achievement
- Thorough understanding of the principles and methods of economic evaluation, with hands on experience in their practical application
- Experience analysing large datasets such as the Labour Force Survey, Wealth and Assets Survey or Understanding Society.
The candidates will ideally bring the following characteristics and attributes to the role:
- Excellent communications skills, with the ability to convey economic analysis effectively to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Strong stakeholder management skills and problem-solving skills
- An eye for detail and a strong dedication to quality
- Proven ability to work independently and manage priorities, deadlines and projects that may involve multiple contributors
- Ability to work collaboratively in small teams
Interviews: To be held in October 2020
To apply: Please submit your CV with a cover letter (no more than two pages) setting out how you meet the person specification criteria listed above to [email protected].
Person specification: We are looking for experienced economists who can work with PBE on a consultancy basis.
Post title: Economic Associate
Post type: Consultant
Day rate: £250
Client relationship: Director of Services
Time commitment: For discussion, estimate 4-8 days per monthApply for this job
Share this job
Smart Thinking is not responsible for any of the content uploaded by recruiters and included in the job and internship adverts. Nor is it responsible for the content on any third party sites linked to the Smart Thinking website.
Organisation: Pro Bono Economics
Location: Remote working, with some travel
Salary range: Competitive
Closing date: 5 October 2020
Contract type: Temporary
About the Organisation
Pro Bono Economics (PBE) enables professional economists from across the private, public and third sectors to volunteer their skills to tackle some of the most pressing issues in society. Working with our network of experienced consultant economists, our volunteers help charities and social enterprises appreciate their economic and social impact and so improve their overall effectiveness.Visit website